This my place to share my pictures, projects, and things that make me smile with possibly some blogging too.
Saturday, January 19, 2013
Chicken, Spinach, and Noodle Casserole
Hands-On Time: 20m
Total Time: 40m
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 4 cups whole milk
• 1 cup sour cream
• kosher salt and black pepper
• 12 ounces egg noodles
• 4 slices sandwich bread
• 2 cups shredded cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken
• 5 ounces baby spinach, chopped
• 2 teaspoons dried thyme
1. Heat oven to 400° F. Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, until foamy, 1 to 2 minutes (do not let the mixture darken). Slowly whisk in the milk. Bring to a simmer and cook, whisking often, until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the sour cream, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
2. Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the package directions; drain and return them to the pot. Pulse the bread in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
3. Add the milk mixture, chicken, spinach, and thyme to the noodles and toss to combine. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch or some other 3-quart baking dish, sprinkle with the bread crumbs, and drizzle with the melted butter.
4. Bake until the bread crumbs are golden and the filling is bubbling, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
The casserole may be assembled (except for the bread crumbs and melted butter) and refrigerated up to 1 day in advance. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs and drizzle with the melted butter just before baking. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake for 8 to 10 minutes more.