Horseradish Prime Rib Soup
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 6 cups (or more) canned vegetable broth
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 ounces fresh horseradish, peeled, finely grated (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces sourdough bread slices, cut into small cubes
- 4 ounces of shaved prime rib
Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add breadcrumbs and shallots and sauté 1 minute (do not brown). Add 6 cups broth, potatoes and horseradish are very tender, about 1 hour. Puree soup in batches in blender. Return soup to saucepan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bread crumbs and prime rib; sauté until bread is crisp and prime rib is heated through, about 5 minutes.
Bring soup to simmer, thinning with more vegetable broth if necessary. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with shaved Prime Rib and bread cubes.
Now, since I don't have prime rib hanging around the house I may need to use some great pot roast or roast beef.