Here's another soup recipe, but the good news is that its a healthier version for those of us who really should be watching our weight.
Weight Watchers Baked Potato Soup
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 1/2 hrs
- Servings: 6 .
- 1 bulb garlic cloves ( large, 1/4-inch-slice cut off top)
- 3 lbs potatoes ( rinsed, pierced with a fork, about 6 large baking potatoes)
- 6 slices uncooked turkey bacon
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 6 tablespoons low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 tablespoons scallions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Wrap entire garlic bulb tightly in foil; place garlic and potatoes in oven. (You do not need to put them on a pan; they can go right on an oven rack.).
- Bake garlic until soft when squeezed, about 45 minutes; remove from oven and let cool. Continue baking potatoes until tender when pierced, about 15 minutes more; let potatoes stand until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, about 6 minutes.
- Place bacon on paper towels to drain off any fat; chop bacon.
- Unwrap garlic and squeeze pulp from bulb with hands into a large saucepan.
- Peel potatoes and add to saucepan; mash with a potato masher until smooth.