Chocolate Almond Frozen Bananas
Preparation Time: 3 hr 45 min
Cooking Time: 5 min
· 3 large ripe (but firm) bananas
· 1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
· 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
· 1 teaspoon almond extract
· 3/4 cup chopped almonds
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with wax paper.
- Cut bananas in half crosswise and place a skewer lengthwise through the center (cut side) of each half. When all banana halves are skewered, place on prepared baking sheet and freeze for 3 to 4 hours, or overnight.
- After bananas have frozen, place chocolate chips and shortening in a medium-sized glass bowl. Microwave on high 1 to 2 minutes, just until chips are melted.
- Remove from microwave and mix until smooth. Add almond extract and almonds; mix well.
- Over the bowl of chocolate, hold each banana by the stick and spoon chocolate mixture over, evenly coating it. Allow excess to drip off. Lay again on wax paper and freeze for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Store in re-sealable plastic storage bags.