Brie Mushroom Soup
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cans (14-ounces each) ready-to-use chicken broth
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces Brie cheese, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter and the flour; blend until smooth then set aside.
- In a soup pot, combine the chicken broth, cremini and shiitake mushrooms, onion, and black pepper; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Add the butter mixture, stirring until the soup is thickened. Slowly stir in the heavy cream, mixing well (see Tip). Add the cheese, stirring constantly, until melted. Serve immediately.