Leftover Mashed Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 14 1/2 ounces chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 cups prepared mashed potatoes ( leftover is great)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cream or 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- Cook bacon, and set aside to crumble.
- In a large saucepan, cook onion in butter or dripping until softened.
- Add chopped mushrooms and cook until tender and onion is golden.
- Add chicken broth, salt, pepper, and paprika, stirring to mix.
- Blend in mashed potatoes, stirring until lumps are gone.
- Bring soup to a boil, then lower heat and add cheddar cheese, stirring until it is melted and smooth.
- Mix in scallions, crumbled bacon, sour cream, and cream/half and half, stirring to heated through but not boiling.