Servings: Makes 7 cups (enough for a 12-pound bird)
· 1 pound slab or sliced bacon
· 4 cups coarsely chopped onion
· 1 cup dry white wine (chicken or vegetable stock, or water, may be substituted)
· 2 tsp. chopped garlic
· 4 cups fresh bread crumbs
· 1 cup pine nuts
· 2 tsp. fresh thyme (or 1 tsp. dried)
· 2 bay leaves
· Salt and freshly ground black pepper
DirectionsIf using slab bacon, cut into 1/2-inch cubes; if using sliced bacon, coarsely chop. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring or turning until crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain (but leave fat in pan), dry, and crumble.
Remove all but 3 tablespoons fat from pan and, still over medium heat, cook onion, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add wine and bring to a simmer; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic, bread crumbs, pine nuts, thyme, bay leaves, and bacon and remove from heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.