This my place to share my pictures, projects, and things that make me smile with possibly some blogging too.
Thursday, October 11, 2012
Couldn't Be Easier Slow Cooker Bread
• Prep Time: 15 mins
• Total Time: 3 hrs 15 mins
• Servings: 12
o 1 tablespoon yeast
o 1/4 cup warm water
o 1 cup warm skim milk or 1 cup buttermilk
o 1/2 cup rolled oats
o 1 teaspoon salt
o 2 tablespoons olive oil
o 2 tablespoons honey
o 1 whole eggs
o 1/4 cup wheat germ
o 2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1. Grease a deep metal or glass bowl or 1 lb coffee can (we use a glass 18 cm Pyrex soufflé dish); turn slow-cooker on high to preheat.
2. Dissolve yeast in water; combine with milk, oats, salt, oil, honey, egg, and wheat germ.
3. Add flour and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
4. Turn dough immediately into bowl or can; cover LOOSELY with foil.
5. In bottom of slow-cooker, place 1/2 cup of water and a trivet or some crumpled foil.
6. Place can or bowl on this; cover and bake on High for 3 hours.
7. Note: sides of bread brown and crisp beautifully, top will slightly brown and be soft to touch.
8. Yield: 1 medium sized loaf of bread.