American Flag Cordial
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) blue Curacao
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) grenadine syrup
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) cranberry juice
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) whipping (heavy) cream
- Chill cordial glasses, blue Curacao and grenadine in freezer several hours before serving.
- In cup or separate glass, mix grenadine and cranberry juice; stir well. Pour equal amounts (about 1 tablespoon) into each cordial glass.
- Into each glass, gently pour 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) blue Curacao over back of a spoon onto grenadine mixture. Gently pour 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) whipping cream over back of spoon onto Curacao.
Tips & Techniques
Tip: Be sure to use a steady hand and a little concentration for each layer. The trick is to remember that spirits and cordials have different alcohol volumes. The lower the alcohol volume, the more sugar there is and the heavier the spirit. Pour the heaviest (grenadine and cranberry juice) followed by lighter liquids (blue Curacao and cream) to create brilliant layers.
Smaller bottles are easier to pour from than large ones. Bottle pourers help tremendously for controlling the flow of liquid.
Freezing the glasses and liquors ahead helps keep each layer clear.