Wednesday, March 21, 2012
o 4 lbs fresh asparagus, pencil thin, plus
o 2 tablespoons olive oil
o salt, to taste
o ¼ cup butter
o ¼ cup flour
o ½ cup water
o 1 ½ cups chicken broth
o 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
o 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
o 16 ounces lasagna noodles
o 1 2⁄3; cups grated parmesan cheese
o 1 cup whipping cream
1. Cook lasagna noodles and drain.
2. Heat oven to 500°F.
3. Cut off about 1" at the end of the asparagus stalks and discard.
4. Coat the asparagus with olive oil and spread out in a single layer in a baking dish.
5. Roast 5-10 minutes.
6. Remove from oven, sprinkle with salt, cut into bite-size pieces, and let cool.
7. Reduce oven to 400°F.
8. In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.
9. Add flour and stir for about 2-3 minutes.
10. Combine water and broth; slowly add to flour-butter mixture, constantly stirring.
11. Cook about 5 minutes.
12. Add mozzarella and lemon zest, stirring until the mixture is smooth.
13. Butter a 13 x 9 baking pan.
14. Place a layer of noodles in the pan, then half the sauce, then half the asparagus pieces, then 1/2 cup parmesan.
15. Repeat, then put on the top layer of noodles.
16. In a small bowl combine cream and a dash of salt.
17. Whip until soft peaks form then spoon over noodles.
18. Sprinkle with remaining 2/3 cup parmesan cheese.
19. Bake 30 minutes.